- Google Cloud
Open source globe visualization combining multiple open data sources. Built with WebGL, D3, Vue.js, brunch.io, and ES6.
WebWorker D3 Benchmark
An SVG and Canvas benchmark that tests the rendering of maps using D3 geo projections. Uses WebWorkers for parallel calculations.
April 2018 – Present
First as part of a design agency I co-founded, Visual Perspective, and now independently, I've been working with clients to build applications, dashboards, maps, analysis, and reports based on data sets of all sizes. I take client projects through design, analysis, and implementation.
- Built a 3D interactive visualization of network infrastructure using three.js and React
- Worked with The Road To Hope to perform a census on remote Haitian villages using satellite maps and QGIS
- Designed and built a visualization of Iceland's vegetation over time using WebGL, regl, and React
- Designed and built visualperspective.io using Gatsby and React
Lead Software Developer
May 2017 – February 2018
At Kimetrica, I was the first engineer at a commercial GIS spinoff called ForestWalk. I led the implementation of Population Explorer, a tool for analyzing population statistics.
- Designed and developed a single page GIS app using React, Leaflet, and PostGIS
- Designed and implemented features in response to user feedback
- Implemented an automated test suite using Webdriver.io
- Automated devops using Ansible, AWS, and RDS
Senior Software Engineer
September 2016 – May 2017
At clypd, I helped to build an innovative TV ad sales platform using React, Redux, and AWS.
- Migrated the UI build system to Webpack, allowing faster iteration on UI features
- Created React/Redux UIs to enable new customer workflows
Senior Software Engineer
October 2013 – May 2016
Front End Engineer
March 2013 – October 2013
At Lex Machina, I led UI implementation of their legal analytics and visualization platform.
- Implemented a major responsive UI redesign which was a key milestone
- Designed and built interactive visualizations, giving users new insights into legal data
- Built and maintained a quick and reliable front end build system using Gulp
- Implemented site-wide export-to-PDF, resulting in increased user engagement
January 2010 – March 2013
I created a startup, PageGlow, with a focus on creating Flash/Flex plugins for
integration with content management systems.
Lead UI Developer
Massachusetts Medical Society
March 2007 – November 2009
For the Massachusetts Medical Society, publisher of the New England Journal of Medicine, I wrote UI code for interactive web apps and worked on major redesigns.
August 2005 – March 2007
For EBSCO Publishing, I created internal web-based tools and enhanced the support site.
B.S. in Computer Science
Gordon College, Wenham, Massachusetts